Other Card Posts

More card posts to enjoy.

On Facebook

On Facebook
Grace Notes On Facebook

My Music

Click the cloud to go to my music on Sound Cloud.

Copyright

The contents of this web site including all text, graphics, photos and design ideas are my own.

The card designs, graphics and poetry provided here are my own creations. I am pleased to share them for your inspiration and pleasure. As is customary, please provide a link back to this site if you use any portion of my designs.

Since every good and perfect thing is a gift from God, I recognize that my inspiration and creativity is from Him.
Copyright 2014 Grace Baxter

About Spelling

If you follow my blog or know me at all, you will soon realize that I spell certain words differently from what you are used to seeing on most web sites. This is because I am Canadian and I am a spelling NUT. It drives me crazy when things are misspelled. So naturally, it would rub me the wrong way to purposely leave out letters from words that I know need them. Canadian spelling is actually a blend of British and U.S.

Sewing and Crafts

Home Dec Projects

Blog Archive

I'm in Cricut Mag.

I'm in Cricut Mag.
My Spring Thank-You Card
Copyright Grace Baxter 2011. Powered by Blogger.
March 8, 2012

St. Patty's B-Day Card



Shield with St. Patrick's Crest
What kind of card do you make for a guy whose birthday falls on St. Patrick's Day? All his life his birthdays have been a combined celebration featuring all things green and St. Patty-ish. Though cheerful and well-loved, this time I went for a unique theme... one befitting his personal interests.

In designing this card, I thought about the recipient's interest in jousting, archery, and reading books about characters from the King Richard and "Robin Hood" era. Of course, the verse HAD to be in Old English style. More on that later. 



It starts with the card shape. I needed it to be long and lean to accommodate the design, 9-1/4" x 4" which is perfect for a number 10 business envelope. The theme of this card is "Old World". Beginning with cream-coloured cardstock, I covered the front with a crackle paper that resembles stone. Then I aged the edges with ink in black and brown (Tea Dye).



The crest and lions are from Indie Art. These are cut from taupe shimmer CS. I love the smoothness of this CS and the slight sheen.

Shield with three layers plus the clover (shamrock).

In the pic above the shield, the largest shape is actually an outline that did not add any extra thickness. It sits snugly against the smaller shield. For this piece I sponged black ink over the taupe CS. It does darken the colour but doesn't turn it totally black since the CS is non-porous. The top shield is attached using foam dots. There are 4 layers to the shield including the shamrock.

Inside
I composed the verse and changed the font colour to dark brown, then printed it on regular white paper. Next, I went to town aging the look of the paper. I used the same black and Tea Dye distress ink around the edges, then stamped more distress all over the page, keeping the typed area fairly clean. One more shamrock finished the inside.


Old English Birthday Greeting
This was so much fun to create! I thought about using very old English but after listening to a few clips from a Robin Hood movie, decided to leave out the "thees" and "thous" and use PROPER English. In my opinion, proper English never goes out of style. I even added some subtle humour into the second stanza, which I know won't go unnoticed.

This has to be one of my most creative pieces. I loved coming up with the perfect verse to suit the genre and era of this card. I can't wait for the recipient to open his card.

Cartridges Used
Indie Art - Lions, shield, clover (shamrock)
Storybook - Frame

I have entered this card in the BBTB2 Challenge for March. The theme of the challenge is shamrocks. I hope they like my "Old World" shamrock.

I'm excited that this card was featured in this week's CHIRP, March 13th, 2012 · Vol. 361.


8 comments:

  1. What a fabulous guy card. I love the way you combined the birthday with the shamrock. Thanks for playing along at BBTB2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an absolute wonderful card... Thank you for joining us on our BBTB2 Shamrock challenge.
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. This card is just fabulous! I love the design, the shield (!!) and the great shading. You did an amazing job with this. Thanks for joining us at BBTB2 this week, otherwise I might have missed this wonderful card!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! What a gorgeous card! Thanks for playing with us at BBTB2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! this is sooo FABULOUS! You definitely captured the Old World feeling. Truly an amazing card! He's gonna be thrilled with this for sure. So hard to do a man's card and you rocked it! Thanks for joining us at BBTB2. xxD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking card for a guy! Love the crest with the shamrock!
    Glenda
    http://glendascards.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome card. Thanks for sharing your fabulous work with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is truly a piece of art. I am new at this stuff and I am always on the lookout for "masculine" since I only have grandsons. It is my daughter and me surrounded by males. I am only interested in cards! I probably won't go to that much trouble, but I did enjoy your card.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I check them every day! If you would like me to contact you, please leave your email address. Note: spam comments are not approved.

About Me

My Photo
I guess you might call me a "right brainer", loving all things creative. Cardmaking is the perfect hobby for me as it allows me to be totally creative, combining design with poetry or verses I can compose myself. With Christmas being such an important occasion for cardmaking and crafting, I decided to create a separate blog just for Christmas projects. "It's All About Christmas" will host all my Christmas items. "Gracenotes For Today" will still feature items every other occasion of the year. I hope you'll drop by often and stay awhile!

Talk to Me

I really enjoy reading your comments. If you see something you like (or don't), please take a second to let me know. It's what keeps me going! Just click the Comments link at the bottom of each post. Thank you!

My Christmas Blog

My Christmas Blog
Christmas Cards, Downloadable Graphics, Poems

Faithful Followers

New Followers

When you become a new follower, please say 'hello' so that I'll know who you are and can welcome you!

Follow by Email