On Facebook

On Facebook
Grace Notes On Facebook

On Twitter

Follow Me on Bloglovin

Follow

Copyright Note

The contents of this web site including all text, graphics, photos and design ideas are my own. If you use any of my designs, please provide a link back to this blog page.

If you use my poems in any way, would you please comply with copyright rules and give credit by providing a link back to this page if posted online: gracenotes4today.blogspot.com.

If you use my poetry for UNPUBLISHED projects, please type a byline under the poem's title or somewhere in the description stating Grace M. Baxter as the author. Thank you.

About Spelling

If you follow my blog or know me at all, you will soon realize that I spell certain words differently from what you are used to seeing on most web sites. This is because I am Canadian and I am a spelling NUT. It drives me crazy when things are misspelled. So naturally, it would rub me the wrong way to purposely leave out letters from words that I know need them. Canadian spelling is actually a blend of British and U.S.

Home Dec Projects

Sewing and Crafts

I'm in Cricut Mag.

I'm in Cricut Mag.
My Spring Thank-You Card

My Music

Click the cloud to go to my music on Sound Cloud.

Blog Archive

Copyright Grace Baxter 2011. Powered by Blogger.
July 15, 2013

BEACH BUDDIES B-DAY CARD

A Step Card of Fun


Brother and Sister at the Beach birthday card

I've always thought that anyone having a birthday in summer is doubly blessed. My daughter, now all grown up, is a July baby. I created this card for her and it tells a story that is typical of a day at the beach for our family.

Design Details

The finished card is an A6 and the cardstock size I started with is 6"x9". There are tutorials online that show you how to make the step card. One can be found HERE.


Birthday girl in her swimsuit with her inner tube. All set for fun at the beach.
The fun part, of course, is the decorating. For this scene, all I had to do was remember my children playing on the beach, and then find the corresponding characters and features to make them come to life! 

The main character is the birthday girl. With her big ponytail and tube over her arm, she's all set for a day of splashing in the water. For her bathing suit, I used plain white CS and ran it through the Cuttlebug to give it the swiss dot texture. Then I carefully touched each dot with the tip of a green ProMarker.

The fair-haired boy is her brother, the little guy who loved building sandy road systems and bridges, digging close enough to the water for it to flow into his trenches. There is more to the story, but back to the card...

Backdrops

I love using papers that are realistic. For the backgrounds on this card, I used papers that are actual photographs of sand and water.

Sentiment

I don't use a lot of stamps in my cardmaking. For the 'Happy Birthday', I typed it on the computer and printed the words directly onto a strip of the sand paper. This way, the background is transparent and blends into the card. Also, fonts and colour possibilities are endless when you make your own sentiments.


Beach Buddies birthday card, birthday girl and big brother all set for a fun day at the beach.

Cartridges Used

Everyday Paper Dolls ~ kids, hair, swim suits, chair, umbrella, tube, boat
Life Is A Beach ~ surfboard, pail and shovel
Going Places ~ skier


To me, hand-made cards should be meaningful and lasting. Becky loved this year's birthday card and I know it will be at home in a treasure trove with all the other cards I have made, just for her.

6 comments:

  1. What a cute card! I love the colors and the background papers that you used - how fun! Thank you for sharing and joining us this week at FCCB!
    Angie ~ DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute card. Really like your papers and especially the boat and skier in the background. Very nice extra touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is so fabulous and very, very creative. I love how the card has accordion layers. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute Grace! I love that they represent your family at the beach! Thanks for playing at FCCB!
    I'm a new follower too!
    Scrappy hugs, Connie
    http://conniecancrop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. FUN summer beach scene. Love all the layers in your step card. Thanks for entering the challenge this week atFCCB. Kim Ogden

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really fun card, I like the cute surfer boy and girl paper dolls! Thanks for joining us at FCCB's "set the scene" challenge this week!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking time to comment. I check them every day! If you would like me to contact you, please leave your email address. Note: spam comments are not approved.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Featured Post

Design Space: FONT REFERENCE GUIDE

Cricut Design Space:  Accessible Fonts I have just completed a long project which I think will be helpful not only for myself, but for a...

Finding Cards

Note to Visitors
For your convenience, cards are listed in the left sidebar in two ways:
1) by Cartridge/s used
2) by Category or occasion

FOLLOWER PERKS!

I appreciate my followers. So, to say "thank-you" I frequently provide step-by-step instructions on some of my most popular cards.

Yes, there are other places to see my cards: Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook and Bloglovin. But THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE where followers can request free PDF instructions for projects. Join the fun!

Faithful Followers

New Followers

When you become a new follower, please say 'hello' so that I'll know who you are and can welcome you!

Follow by Email

TO LEAVE A COMMENT:

Click on any post title and scroll to the bottom of the post. You will see the comment section there.
You can also check off your reaction to any project. Just click in the box next to your choice.

HAVE A QUESTION?

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOUR COMMENT, PLEASE LEAVE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS. It's the only way I can get back to you.

My Christmas Blog

My Christmas Blog
Christmas Cards, Downloadable Graphics, Poems

About Me

My photo
I guess you might call me a "right brainer", loving all things creative. Cardmaking is the perfect hobby for me as it allows me to be totally creative, combining design with poetry or verses I can compose myself. With Christmas being such an important occasion for cardmaking and crafting, I decided to create a separate blog just for Christmas projects. "It's All About Christmas" will host all my Christmas items. "Gracenotes For Today" will still feature items every other occasion of the year. I hope you'll drop by often and stay awhile!